How can men and women communicate better with each other?
By Sandra Beckwith
Women complain that communicating with a man is like trying to talk
to a tourist who doesn’t know your language. Eventually, you resort
to sign language. Men complain that all women want to do is talk, talk,
talk. Here are some ways both genders can improve how they communicate
with the opposite sex.
Tips for women:
- Understand that men communicate to share information, not to establish
relationships. This means a conversation with a man might not always
be as satisfying as a conversation with a girlfriend.
- Don’t be frustrated when he’s not as interested in chatting
as you are. Men tend to speak half as many words as women do on a daily
- Try to talk less. Most men are bottom-line oriented and will be
better listeners if you get to the point quicker.
- Be more direct in your communication. Men lose interest when you
take a circuitous route to the point of your story.
Tips for men:
- Realize that women communicate to establish relationships, so they
might be chattier and more personal in their conversation.
- Understand that not every question from a woman is a problem begging
for a solution. Be certain she’s asked for your help before you
jump in with help because sometimes, she just wants to blow off steam.
- Realize that it’s a fact of life that women use twice as many
words as men do. Don’t be frustrated by it.
- Listen, listen, listen.
- Move beyond two-word answers and get chatty, especially on the phone.
You’ll win her over for sure.
Sandra Beckwith speaks
frequently on the lighter side of gender differences and is the author
of WHY CAN’T A MAN BE MORE LIKE A WOMAN? Learn more at www.sandrabeckwith.com.