Learn how to work better with women
By Sandra Beckwith
Men can minimize the gender gap in the workplace by modifying
their behavior when working with women:
- Understand that many women value work relationships. To foster loyalty
among female colleagues, connect with them by sharing information about
your interests outside of work.
- Realize that not all women understand the language of sports and
war. Use fewer of these metaphors to make sure your point isn’t
- Take advantage of women’s tendency toward consensus-building.
Learn all possible solutions to a problem or discover the creativity
in each team member. You never know where the best idea will come from
if you don’t hear all of them.
- Encourage women to speak up. Ask for their contributions in meetings.
Make sure they get full credit for their contributions to increase
- Recognize, appreciate and point out the strengths the other gender
brings to the situation. One way isn’t better than another -
it’s just different.
- Realize that asking questions helps many women do their jobs better.
While some men view questioning as an indication that a person doesn’t
have the necessary information, women view it as a useful tool for
gathering facts needed to do their jobs properly.
Sandra Beckwith speaks
frequently on the lighter side of gender differences and is the author
of WHY CAN’T A MAN BE MORE LIKE A WOMAN? Learn more at www.sandrabeckwith.com.